30 January 2017

A Cozy Cape

This refashion came about thanks to my good friend Sarah, who sent me this tutorial of how to make a cape.  I didn't have two meters of super-thick wool knit lying around, but I knew this wool skirt could easily become something similar.

This is a very stern skirt
This looks like something a cranky librarian would wear, and while I do work in a library I would never wear this to work!  Fortunately, this skirt did have a very nice flare to it that I was pretty certain would work well for my cape.  It also had something else.

A hook-and-eye closure! 
This little clasp at the top of the zipper was going to be how I'd fasten my cape and keep it on.  But first I needed to turn this tube into a flat piece of fabric again.  I grabbed my seam-ripper and took out the zipper.

Don't worry, I'll save it in case I can use it later!
Then I opened up the rest of the seam that the zipper had been sewn into.

pick, pick, pick...
All that ripping left me with this.

A skirt no longer!
Then I dressed Gruella and pinned in some shoulder seams, just like I did for the Starry Night Skirt-to-Tunic.

Fins are pinned.
I stitched down those shoulders and clipped off the extra fabric.

Stitch!
Clip!
And that's it!  Now I have a cape that's a decent knock-off from the one in the video, without having to go out for new fabric!  Thanks for the idea, Sarah!

Flowy!
I'd have to bundle up with a little more if I wanted to go outside, but for a winter's day of blogging and reading, this will keep me nice and cozy! 

No comments:

Post a Comment