14 January 2017

Starry Night Skirt-to-Tunic

I snapped up this skirt for $1 because even though I knew it would be huge on me, the fabric felt comfortable and promising.

There's a lot of space in here...
It also put me in mind of Vincent van Gogh's Starry Night (read about it here).

Blue swirls!
 I put this skirt inside-out on Gruella, and pinned the waist-now-collar so that it stayed up and draped nicely.

New shoulder seams pinned!
And a close-up...

Just one pin to mark the angle.
I stitched down the new shoulder seams, after replacing my sewing machine needle (the old one gave me a lot of grief in that last refashion).

Two quick stitches!
 Then I trimmed off the excess fabric.

Bye-bye bulky shoulders.
Now, of course, this skirt-to-tunic refashion was missing something important--armholes!  I cut a hole in either side of the skirt, just below the new shoulder seams.  I'd tested the fabric when I trimmed off the excess and I knew it wasn't going to fray, so I didn't have to worry about finishing the edges.

Adding arm-spaces!
I fiddled with the size and shape of the armholes a bit until they fit nicely, then pulled on my new tunic, added a narrow belt and black leggings, and struck a pose!

Swirly!
Any skirt can become a top, with a little creativity!  Pull a maxi- or midi-skirt up under your arms, add a belt if you like, and you have a breezy sundress.  If the skirt is too small, use the waist as a neck and cut armholes (depending on the fabric you may need to finish the armholes somehow).  What are your ideas for refashioning skirts into shirts?




No comments:

Post a Comment