15 June 2019

Sunny Jumper

Time to Complete: 1 hour
Sewing Machine Required? Yes
Difficulty: Difficult

We've been getting some gorgeous weather, so I decided to celebrate with this sunny number:

Look closer...
Witchy sun-moon-face!
I bought this very 90s dress purely for the gold-embroidered emblem on the front. I did an MA on medieval magical practices (not witchcraft, and don't get me started on how they're different!), so the subtle occult detail tugged at my heart. 

I've been seeing a lot of jumpers around recently, like this cute one from Modcloth:


So I decided to make one for myself. First, I was going to have to get rid of those sleeves:

Goodbye!
I don't often take sleeves off entirely, because it's tricky to hem the armholes again. Often they'll end up huge and gaping, which just doesn't work for most dresses. For a jumper, however, an extra-large armhole is ideal!

Real armholes have curves, so I made sure to snip about 1/2cm in every 10cm or so along the raw edge.

Like so...
This provides some give for double-folding the hem, so it doesn't get clumpy and awkward. I stitched around to close up the raw edges.

Next, I needed to take it in a bit. I still wanted it to have a relaxed fit, so I sewed a straight line down each side.

Marked and ready for stitchery!
Once I'd taken in the sides, it was just a matter of adjusting the length. I forgot to take pictures, but just see any of my other posts for tips on shortening a dress.

The end result? 

I so need to find a better backdrop!
Paired with a yellow T-shirt to bring out the gold, I think this baby-doll style jumper feels like a nice mix of youthful and grown-up.

Criticisms: Actually, this one turned out pretty much the way I envisioned it! I can't think of anything I'd change. I love it when a plan comes together!


1 comment:

  1. Nice job. I like the emblem! It is definitely a highlight that has more light to give (pun intended).

    ReplyDelete